The VIENNALE is Austria’s largest international film festival and ranks among the most renowned and artistically important events of its kind. It takes places annually in Vienna over two weeks in late October/early November. The City of Vienna is a major sponsor of the festival, providing more than half of the total budget.
The VIENNALE is looking for a new
Director (Artistic Direction)
• Creation and implementation of the entire Viennale program in collaboration with the Viennale team.
• Responsibility for content, form, technical and budgetary organization of the festival.
• Systematic and innovative development and accentuation of the festival and its program strategies.
• Content-related and artistic responsibility for the international positioning, specific festival profile and image of the Viennale.
• Cultivation, extension and further development of a national and international network of organizations, institutions, partners and persons that are of essential interest to the festival.
• Implementation of festival strategy in the areas of marketing, public relations and press, in close collaboration with the responsible Viennale departments.
• Creation of a budget plan for a responsible execution of the festival in collaboration with the commercial management team and with the involvement of the financial administration of the Viennale.
• Further development of the economic basis of the Viennale through close cooperation and participation in the field of sponsoring.
• Cultivation of contacts with public sponsors, in particular the City of Vienna, as well as responsible political and private institutions.
• Responsibility for the festival, its orientation and content toward audiences, media, public and politics.
• A prominent person, preferably with experience in a responsible position in programming at renowned international film festivals or comparable institutions.
• Comprehensive personal networking and familiarity with, as well as high degree of acceptance among, all international persons and institutions relevant for the programming and designing of the festival.
• Independent aesthetical and political judgment with regard to film selection and programming.
• Extensive knowledge of and practical familiarity with the international film and festival scene, the current state of world cinema and related developments and discussions.
• Knowledge of international film history and competence in creating historical and thematic retrospectives, special programs, personal tributes and priority programs.
• Social competence and responsibility in selecting, motivating and working with festival employees.
• Experience and confidence in dealing with the media and public.
• Commercial knowledge and experience in operations management as well as in budgetary preparation, control and management.
• Start of contract: as soon as possible. A decision will be made by January 31, 2018.
• The contract period is 3 to 5 years; extension possible.
• The main place of residence for the duration of employment is Vienna.
• The position entails artistic responsibility and management in collaboration with the director responsible for commercial operations.
• For this full-time position, we offer a minimum gross salary of €90,000 per year, depending on professional qualifications and experience.
• The Viennale has two subsidiaries, the Gartenbaukino and the Stadtkino im Künstlerhaus, which are headed by a single independent director.
Your application must be in German or English and include a detailed curriculum vitae as well as a description of your festival concept in no more than 10,000 characters. Please submit your application via e-mail to email@example.com by December 5, 2017.
Your application will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The Viennale board of trustees will appoint a new director based upon the recommendations of the search committee.